Thursday, July 16, 2009

43, Luckily -- Kerry

My sister-in-law died on her 42nd birthday a few years ago.
I made it to 43 today and celebrated with, among others, her three remaining children.
I threw a covert glance in her eldest daughter's direction. She resembles her mother the most. I wondered if she felt the injustice of a life cut short every day, like I was feeling right now.
Perhaps every birthday I should glance in these children's direction and remind myself that I too am mortal, that I should never ever forget what an amazing miracle it is that we walk on this earth, for whatever amount of time we're here.
Me, I'm glad for 43.

2 comments:

Jennie Englund said...

Your gratitude is evident, Kerry!

I totally get you!

Christy Raedeke said...

Ah, happy birthday Kerry!

Great advice for all of us...