Friday, July 4, 2008

When You Are Engulfed in Sedaris - Julie

About every five years or so I rediscover David Sedaris, and it’s like rediscovering ice cream – my God, it’s sweet, creamy, cold, and there may be chunks of cookie dough in it?! This stuff is great!

Here’s what reading David Sedaris does for me: convinces me that dull real life experiences – watching One Life to Live, taking a French class, looking at beach real estate with your family, flying on an airplane – can be achingly funny and medicinally satisfying to read when well-told.

Having just finished a slew of YA novels for a contest I’m helping judge, none of which were funny or really very satisfying, I am on a little writing binge, rooting through my life, pulling out moments and dusting them off, seeing how I can shine them up, maybe add some paint or a decal. I’m having fun. Thanks, David.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dress Me In Corduroy and Denim" is an appropriate title for us Ashlanders. I'm looking forward to more funny reads from the binge...

Anonymous said...

If Sedaris is your creative prompt, I say go back and read them all again - what you are producing is some of the funniest stuff you've ever done!