Tuesday, December 2, 2008

TeamMike - Joy and Sadness All Mixed Together

When a writer says words are indescribable it is a humble admission.

This was the only sentence I could get out for awhile, but as only writers know, there's always more words eventually...

First the bad news:
My brother was diagnosed with a brain tumor last week. His father had one fifty-eight years ago in the same location.

Now the good news:
Yesterday he received news from a brain surgeon that instead of a massive operation, they can shrink the tumor with radiation. I never thought I'd be so excited about radiation vs surgery, but there's a first time for everything. So there is some joy here, as well.

Along with yesterday's good news, I also have finally committed to producing a second edition of my book which received some press in an Oregon wine country newspaper recently.

No time to waste anymore. Time to go forward, pen in hand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks!

I don't know what kind of tumor it is, but my good friend, Chris Gulker, (one of the original Bloggers, since 1995) has been dealing with this since October of 2006. Check out his Blog at www.Gulker.com Click on "my brain" and see the remarkable changes from tumor to just a bare shaddow. He's doing quite well. He also chronicles his struggle -- MRI's, tests, rehab, steroids etc. It is sometimes hard to read, but always filled with hope, optimism and faith.

Wishing you luck and love...

Christy's Aunt Barb

Christy Raedeke said...

We couldn't bear sadness without a bit of joy, or appreciate joy without knowing sadness. That is GREAT news about radiation and since he's a strong, healthy guy it should be a cinch, right?

Congrats about book two! Now you'll have something to do in your copious spare time as you relocate, unpack two thousand boxes, get your kids settled in a new school, and start you life over again!

Anonymous said...

Kerry,

Sorry to hear about your brother. I'll keep him--and you--in my heart.

Anonymous said...

Dear friends,
Thanks for the thoughts.You will always be in my heart wherever I am in the world.
Christy's Aunt Barb: thanks for the blog info. It's right on track with information we need to know. That was very thoughtful of you.