Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Writing Reality -Kerry

One of my biggest dreams when I was editor of the high school newspaper was to be a published author. As soon as I saw my name in print in my first article for the paper titled, "Places to go for off-campus lunch" I was hooked on this writing thing. As I pasted up the print for the paper with a glue gun over a light table, I dreamed of being an author of my own book, a reporter for the Associated Press and maybe even a freelance travel writer. I fantasized about my life as an author, how it would feel to sign books and see my name on the cover. Of course, I still had to pass my sociology final and take a few other credits before I could advance to this next level.

When my book made it onto the shelves at Powell's Bookstore in Portland a few years ago, I realized that although I had attained a long held dream, it didn't feel exactly like I thought it would. Don't get me wrong, it felt great, and I cried openly in the aisle when I saw the book on the shelf for the first time. But there were other feelings involved with this author thing, too. I kept thinking, "so this is what it feels like?" followed by "now what do I do?"

I realized that seeing my name in print, whether it be a byline in a newspaper, magazine or book, will always be thrilling. I also realized that my dreams of being a writer really all boil down to one thing, writing because it makes me feel good to practice my craft every day. And that's enough of a dream for me right now.

No comments: