Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Writing the Wrong - Jennie


I did everything I was supposed to do.

I drafted a manuscript, revised, attended a conference, re-revised, hooked up with a respectable agent, re-re-revised, submitted, and waited… for a rejection?

The agent passed with a lengthy list of suggestions for – you guessed it – revision. Basically, only three things were wrong: character, setting, and, oh, yeah – plot.

Consolations from the Lithia girls flooded my inbox. Family and friends asked, “Are you okay?”

Like them, I had thought I would die. I thought I would cry. I thought for sure I would stuff myself silly with rocky road fudge.

But none of this happened.

Because that rejection was actually an amazing event.

Columnist Bob Greene knows what I mean. Cut from the seventh grade basketball team, he writes: “…For all of my life since that day, I have done more work than I had to be doing… put in more hours than I needed to be spending… never to allow someone to tell me I’m not good enough again.”

I hear you, Bob.

On Rejection Day, I did what I said I would never do: I started another book. I’m working harder, writing better.

I’ll re-re-re-revise that first manuscript this summer. After I finish this current book. Because I owe it to the new character who saved my life – or at least my Body Mass Index.

4 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

SO true, my friend. I think I'd go insane thinking about this process of waiting-rejection-waiting-rejection if I didn't have a new project to work on. And your new one is stellar!

JulieVondracek said...

The answer to rejection is to work harder?! NOT to give up and go with the rocky road?! I'm going to have to rethink some things...
Perfect story, well told.
J

Barb Slaton said...

Hi Jennie!

I am Christy's Aunt Barb. I am a huge fan of you girls and your creative, imaginative, funny, and oh so true Blog.

I am left thinking of what might have been if I had once enjoyed the support/sympathy/truth of my sisters. I just turned 60 and unfortunately back in the seventies most of us were just trying to survive!

Bravo to you --

jeanne said...

My wonderfully creative, emphathic, wise-beyond-her-years niece, Jennie: Yes, brick walls were not made to keep "us" out, but to keep out those who really don't want "it." You are growing to understand writing and life. And it is enjoyable to watch your process. Cheers, Jeanne