Friday, March 6, 2009

A Flashy Recycle -- Kelly

Me? I got nothing today.

So, in honor of the seven writers at Flashy Fiction, I offer my response to today's prompt, recycled from aways back.

I don’t remember which of the guys got the idea to replace the star on the tree with a picture of John Lennon, but Ben handed me David’s copy of Let It Be and a pair of scissors.

“I’m too stoned to cut straight, and what if I cut George, man? I never liked John that much but, shit, he’s shot.”

All things considered, I didn’t double check with David before I cut. I handed the portrait to Ben, and he pulled a chair over and propped it among the branches. Everyone was quiet for a minute. Just then, someone on the other side of the room dropped the needle on The Stones “Miss You.” There’s justice, I thought. The King is dead. Long live the King. Let’s dance. I chugged the rest of my wine, put the mutilated album back in the block and board shelf, and headed to the floor.

It was just after ten, and faculty were starting to trickle in. They’d been grading all evening and were ready for a break. I felt hands on my waist, and a voice in my ear shouted, “You look thirsty. I’m headed to the keg. Now do you like it with head or no head?” I knew it was Professor Reed*. “Head, always!” I smiled and slipped away. I’d seen Professor Williams come in, and thought I’d best attempt a rapprochement.

I was pretty sure she’d be here tonight. David had shown up at one of our Friday night department drinking things, and she’d taken notice. His painfully thin, tofu fed demeanor called up her Berkeley glory days. His radar registered this immediately and, being David, he began figuring out a way to use it. He knew he’d need an outside reader for his dissertation. He’d audited one of her courses, poured it on pretty thick, and my radar detected her attraction. Even though my dealings with David were a deep secret I was pretty sure that, somehow, Williams knew. Williams always knew everything.

I knew she liked red wine, so I picked up an extra for her and headed that way. We made eye contact and I lifted her glass. The group of dancers blocked my view, so it was way too late to turn around when I saw that David was on a similar mission. We arrived at the same time, and when she turned to greet him, her gaze fell on the tree and rose to the top. She spun around and hissed, “My God, what have you arrogant children done now.”

3 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

LOVE this.

Anonymous said...

Felt like I was right there.

Kelly Hudgins said...

Thanks, y'all!