Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Online Mothers--Kerry

Horrors! I turned on, gasp, daytime t.v. this morning and watched the "Today Show" pundits. Normally I get my news from an NPR webcast, but today my husband was home, so I can blame the t.v. indulgence on him, can't I?

I did learn something actually relevant to blogging, mothers and life in general. (Amazing! My i.q. did not actually fall when I watched the tube). An advertising exec from an agency called Razorfish was being interviewed for a segment called "The Big Business of Online Mothers." She explained that websites such as Cafe Mama http://www.cafemama.com/ (started by former editor of Hip Mama and Portland resident) and other online websites designed by mothers were rapidly proliferating and influencing the advertising demographic, including, yes, the blogosphere, in many areas of life including environmental issues in the case of Cafemama. Advertisers were giving away products to online journalist mothers, in hopes that they will influence their demographic to buy a particular deodorant or diaper. Yes writer mamas, apparently there is hope for us yet in the land of free stuff even if we don't get paid to blog.

So if we diligently post our blogs and wait patiently, is free stuff going to start arriving on our doorstep? I'm still waiting, but at least it's given some meaning to turning the t.v. off and blogging.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Universe. I'd like a chocolate cake with ganache.

You know where to find me.

Christy Raedeke said...

Is it too much to ask to want more than just free deodorant and diapers on my doorstep?

Anonymous said...

I think the sky is the limit here. Let's go for broke and ask for deliveries of royalty checks for our writing with our chocolate cake.