Friday, April 10, 2009

The True 3G Network

Two to Three Weeks.

That's how much longer the oncologist thinks I will have a mother.

I realized yesterday that my daughter hadn't seen her grandmother in weeks, and that each needed time with the other. So, last night, Anna accompanied me when I went over to put Mother to bed.

I've never felt more like a fulcrum.

I held two hands: one gnarled and cool, the other smooth and warm.

I stoked two heads: one bald, the other covered in thick, lustrous curls.

I rested my head on two shoulders: one bony and brittle, the other round and strong.

This is the true 3Generation network.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I went through this with my father. The only good part, is that we both knew he was leaving, and the only thing left could be love.

Make sure you take good care of yourself.--Marcia

Kelly Hudgins said...

Thanks, Marcia. I'm trying.

Ken said...

Your mom will be freed from the pain and will suffer no more. Broken hearts do mend...let it happen.