Monday, June 22, 2009

Books that changed me -- Kerry

I just finished reading "Thirteen Books That Changed America" by Jay Parini.

Books I don't really think about much, but am now more than ever aware of how they influenced readers in their time.

"Of Plymouth Plantation" through the "Feminine Mystique" along with such classics as "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and "Hucklerry Finn" are eloquently summarized (without having to read the cliff notes!) by the author.

I realized how many books have also influenced me in my life.

Anyone remember how cool the real Nancy Drew was? Or the first time you read "Are you there God it's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume?

Years after my juvenile forays into life shattering literature I plunged voraciously into a whole lot of a little of everything, "Ya Ya Sisters," by Rebecca Wells. "Living with Uncertainty," by Pema Chodron - they all changed me.

There are countless others. What about you?

2 comments:

Jennie Englund said...

A lot of the ones you mentioned...

Plus MANDY in elementary school, CATCHER IN THE RYE in college, THE BEAN TREES in my twenties, and now: SOMEDAY THIS PAIN WILL BE USEFUL TO YOU.

Kelly Hudgins said...

The Sun Also Rises...