Friday, June 5, 2009

Let Evening Come -- Kelly

My mother died a week ago tonight, and her memorial service was today.

I thought I'd share the poem I read, since I obviously haven't been doing any writing.

Let Evening Come (by Jane Kenyon)

Let the light of late afternoon
shine through the chinks in the barn, moving
up the bales as the sun moves down.

Let the crickets take up chafing
as a woman takes up her needles
and her yarn. Let evening come.

Let dew collect on the hoe abandoned
in long grass. Let the stars appear
and the moon disclose her silver horn.

Let the fox go back to its sandy den.
Let the wind die down. Let the shed
go black inside. Let evening come.

To the bottle in the ditch, to the scoop
in the oats, to air in the lung
let evening come.

Let it come, as it will, and don't
be afraid. God does not leave us
comfortless, so let evening come.

4 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

Thank you for posting that beautiful poem. Hope you're finding some peace.

Jennie Englund said...

Kelly,

I'm sorry.

The poem is lovely. And alive.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Loss. This one probably the biggest. Grieve. Grieve. Grieve. Don't let anybody stop you. She deserved it. So do you.

Love and condolences . . . Marcia

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,
I am sending good and healing thoughts your way. I know you will master the fine art of greiving even though it's something you probably never wanted to get good at.
Your poem was elegant and eloquent.
Kindest Regards,
Kerry