Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back to the Ending - Jennie


“What? It just STOPS?”

“It’s too abrupt! We don’t know what happens!”

My kids share their opinions on the conclusion of my YA book. They’re all lined up, open-mouthed at the foot of my bed.

I’m surprised –and disappointed – by their reactions. Per last week’s blog, post-firefighters’ funeral, I thought the ending was well-crafted, well-summed, and, well…, perfect.

The kids disagree. “It’s terrible!” they cry. “You have to fix it!”

I don’t want to fix it. I like the end of the story. It resolves the big conflicts, and still leaves something to the reader’s imagination.

So I run it by my husband for a second, er, fourth, opinion.

“No,” he says, hugging me, “That’s not really what I pictured.”

What did he picture? What do the kids want? And why am I distraught over their 10-,9-and 7-year old judgments?

Thinking it over, I guess it’s because this boy is their character, too – a boy they have come to know during dinner and on car rides. It’s a boy they love and want the best for. It’s a boy they think deserves happiness.

And you know what? Maybe they’re right.

Returning to the computer, I strike a few keys, trying for a more
conclusion-y conclusion.

1 comment:

Christy Raedeke said...

I can hardly wait until Wednesday when we get to see the conclusion! Congrats on hitting the end - it's all just revision from here!