Sunday, February 1, 2009

Out From Under? -- Jennie


I don’t think my problem is plot. I have a million ideas for stories, a million ways to begin and end them, a million conflicts and resolutions.

It’s everything else that kills me: picking that perfect word to convey meaning, creating well-crafted characters who are deep and fully developed, who are relatable but also unique. And scripting rich dialogue between these characters, dialogue that shows the conflicts and resolutions without my telling it.

It’s setting, too—slowing down the action, so the reader can see the scene: letting the rivers rage, and the owls call, and the carcass of a cat sink slowly into the dirt.

Once Christy told me that the first three books go under the bed. This means that it takes writing a few novels before actually publishing one. Since Christy’s so clever (she published her first), I told her I’d give her my plot—all of my plots--and she could work her word choice, dialogue magic, etc., etc.

She chuckled.

So I’ve had to apply all these tedious little things to my plot by myself.

It’s been interesting.

Wherever I go (the mall in Eugene, a museum in San Francisco, my classroom on a test day), I’ve found myself studying people, and I’ve listened to what those people say to each other. I’ve taken long walks to hear the crack of ice under my feet, to the sound of sticky tires on pavement, and to the air trapped under a pigeon’s wings as it took flight above a bridge.

I breathed in hay after a rain.

I’m reading Poe before bedtime, and scaring myself silly.

I’m crying over loss.

In essence, my senses have become heightened, and I’m trying to transcribe that in my writing. This book, in turn, has slowed down. It won’t be tied up in the two months in which I usually complete a manuscript.

It has grown up; hopefully enough this time, to stay out from under the bed.

6 comments:

Kelly Hudgins said...

I have plot-envy.ipp

Kelly Hudgins said...

Don't know where those last three letters came from. I need an editor.

Christy Raedeke said...

Your current plot is genius (so envious). This is a story that needs time to unravel and your writing is reflecting that.

It's fascinating to watch books being built - each narrator truly does have her/his own voice unique to her/his own world.

I look so forward to Wednesdays when I can get my next installment...

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

I've heard that you have cranked out a plot or two...

Oh! "Ipp" what a great word. Let's add it to the vernacular!

Christy,

Keep pushing me. Can't wait to see your finale on Wednesday.

Ipp!

Anonymous said...

Jennie:
Know that you have one fan avidly waiting for another story from you. Wish I was there to read the Wednesday installments..

Anonymous said...

Poe -- good call. That clock chiming six is still with me...
Julie