Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Goalposts: Willamette Writer's Conference - Kerry

I set the goal, now I have to run the race. The race of preparing for a writing conference amidst three kids home for summer, camping trips and carpooling for various lessons is intense.

"Mommy I'm ringing the doorbell why aren't you coming?" yells my four-year old.

I tear myself away from the computer screen and walk to the door. She is standing on the front porch holding a neon pink purse and wearing a brown and pink flowered sundress. Her luminous blue eyes look at me with a mixture of frustration and impatience. I hesitate, torn between two loves - my children and my writing. I hug her and smell her chlorine-tinged swimming lesson hair.

Somewhere in the eye of the storm, I pull out my computer and write furtively. Often that means I am the only mom at the outdoor pool sitting in the shade with a nerdy laptop. Other times I find myself writing early in the morning as the kids eat their breakfast. Yesterday I wrote as I sat in the car waiting for Max to be dropped off from boyscout camp.

Whatever it takes, writing something, anything, every day makes me feel better than taking the self-flagellation that follows if I don't.

Plus, I have a goal, which is partially motivated by the fact that I have actually paid for the conference and partially motivated by raw fear. I do not want to be caught empty-handed in the long fifteen minute session that I am scheduled to pitch my writing ideas to agents. I hear those fifteen minutes can get really long, and I have three separate ones with three separate agents.

So back to my goal I go. Nothing like a little distraction and fear to help motivate my inner writer. Whatever it takes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing motivates like fear! I say, whatever it takes! Congrats on making the decision to go to the conference, you'll have a blast.