Monday, June 2, 2008

In Pursuit of the Ineffable - Kerry

She/he flies through the air with the greatest of ease...

Our ten-year-old daughter, Claire and seven-year-old son, Max are performing in the upcoming June 7th Le Cirque "Cats" performance here in Ashland. They are fearless and funny as they swing from the rafters on trapezes in their unitards. I am in awe of their natural ability to be in the moment, to savor the joy as they fly, effortlessly.

I try to apply this same ability to my writing sessions.

"Kiss the joy as it flies and revel in tomorrow's sunrise," my mother wrote on a card she keeps on her desk.

"So what if joy is ineffable," I think as I sit down to write.

I'll always be able to find it in the still moments when I am lost in a paragraph, despite the din of the bulldozer next door or the barking dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids and trapezes - now that's a combo that adds up to joy!