Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summer writing environment - Kerry

One child is bleeding from a scooter collision.
The other is crying because she forgot her pajamas at home.
The third is limping from a scooter accident sustained earlier in the day.

We are at my parent's house attending to a stroke victim in the hospital that cannot speak and our rental house, which is about to be filled with summer tenants.

Somewhere in the foray I sit down and write this. Amidst the swirl of life around me, I decide to meet Christy's challenge and explain what my writing environment looks like right now as I write.

I am sitting in a room painted buttercream yellow. It is filled with pictures of family members smiling in various graduation or dress-up garb, or even no attire at all; but always smiling, regardless. I am writing this post on the computer that my mother learned to use at age 75. Now she checks her email and my blog with ease.

To my left is a large Asian desk from the aforementioned Chinese godmother. Farther over against the wall is a 20-foot long bookcase crammed from floor to ceiling with books including two 1950's "Oregonas", which are my parent's student yearbooks from the University of Oregon, along with various art, music and architectural tomes and lots of Oregon history documents.

They are a hard act to follow. The bar is set high.

To my right is a toybox crammed with toys for small and large hands. And now I am cradling our four-year-old daughter in my lap and writing with one hand.

Summer is here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love her opening paragraph!it is really funny!i love kerry boenischs writing!

Anonymous said...

im the one who forgot her pjs!(second line).

Anonymous said...

I can see you, Claire in you lap and all!

Mia