Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day -- Jennie

“More,” the agent told me, after reading my YA submission. “It needs more character development, more setting description, more words: 20,000 more.”

Holy Manuscript Overhaul, bloggers!

That’s means a quarter more than what I already had!

I thought there was no way. I'm a "less" kind of a writer. I sometimes wonder if I subconsciously picked a boy book because they tend to be much shorter than general ones.

Over the last six weeks, however, while “recovering” from surgery, I’ve thought. And thought. And thought. Because I really can’t do anything else.

And guess what? There are oodles of places to add more. More of everything!

Today, Labor Day, I am 12,000 words into my revision.

While Christy writes a chapter of her new novel this afternoon, while Julie visits her classroom one last time before her students fill it tomorrow, while Kerry takes her kids back-to-school shopping or jots down some notes about her great new story, and while Marcia squeezes every last second out of summer with her boys, I will add more.

Because “more” is easier than “change,” right?

I can do more.

No problem?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennie - Yes more is better than change and it's a real live actual professional asking for the more so go give it up sister...
-Kerry