Friday, September 26, 2008

September - Julie

The sun is coming through the wall of windows
flooding the bright square classroom with light
sharpening the faces of twenty two second graders
I stand next to the window
by Mrs. Tegner, half her size
She is telling me to stop crying
That it isn't time to go home yet
that I can't see my mom
until three
that my living room
lit by two brass lamps
and containing a gold armchair
a plaid couch
a shelty collie named Bingo
and my mom,
ironing in the middle of it
will have to wait

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heartbreakingly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Julie,

This is written in long hand first, right?

I love this. Love the writing from your notebook.

I think I'll hang it in my classroom at school to remind the rest of the tall people to be more sympathetic to our weepie ones.

Marcia