Sunday, September 28, 2008

Oh! BOY-- Jennie

The hard part about using a flawed character in a YA story is that he has to be imperfect enough to be believable, but not so much he's unlikable.

More than anything, I want my seventeen year-old narrator to evoke your empathy while he fights his inner battles to become his own hero. I want you to want what’s best for him: that which will help him grow and succeed, despite his odds. I want you, simply, to like him.

This is tough.

First, it’s challenging for a 37-year old girlie-girl to write the dialogue, actions, and reactions of a boy twenty years younger. Sometimes, I fear that I don’t quite nail it; that the boy drinks the wrong soda, or has some totally effeminate internal dialogue.

Second, I have to constantly remind myself as I write and revise what this boy’s motivation is. Which is way different from mine, from any female’s I know, actually.

Honestly, in the beginning, I didn’t think that this coming-of-age male voice would be so difficult.

I thought I had enough experience to draw from: an athletic husband, four younger brothers, lots of friends and writing students, and two sons.

Here’s what they’ve taught me: 1) Most of them, (okay, all of them), are more simple creatures than their female counterparts, which they’ll do anything to “get,” but not as much to “keep.” 2) They are very competitive. Over everything. And 3) They like to eat.

I also know that they have serious pressure. Society demands that they sit still through eight years of elementary school, excel at sports in high school, then land a good job and heroically provide for their families for the rest of forever. It doesn’t sound very appealing to anyone, especially someone whose nature is to chase wooly mammoths through the mud.

This pressure, though, is the essence of my character. It defines his motivation, his dialogue, actions, and reactions.

Maybe I didn’t nail everything.

But I watched and listened and learned loads about the other half. It made me think.

Regarding men, I’d say that after almost four decades, I’m finally getting a grip on, oh, let’s call it empathy.

4 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

Jennie...hahahahaha!

"they are more simple than their female counterparts..." so interesting, and true!

As a reader of your latest ms draft, I believe you nailed the "pressure" placed upon boys in our contemporary society...they are expected to excel academically, athletically, romantically, financially, etc, etc, all while being "cool" and even-tempered and moralistic and attractive.

It's a tough time to be a teen, indeed. Nice work on your book. Cannot wait to see it on shelves!!

xo

Eve

Anonymous said...

Jennie . . .

At least you have a daughter! I am completely immersed in the masculine.

Grunting, scratching, sweet, loving, crayon hating, nose picking, remote hogging, chicken feeding, fridge roaming, bat bearing boys.

You're doing a fine job.

M

Anonymous said...

Eve, you're an awesome reader! Thank you!!!

M, yes, Daney is a serious blessing. She helps make the grunting and scratching around here almost bearable!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting your final draft off to the agent today!

Fingers crossed...

Christy