Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Frickin' Halloween - Julie

I am sitting here in my classroom wearing a scratchy Agent 99-esque wig, with jeans and a gray sweater. The wig is my nod to Halloween. It is all I will ever do, costume-wise, for Halloween. It will surprise the kids when they walk into my class; they may think for a moment that they have a sub. But they will quickly get over it, and say to themselves, it's just Ms. Inada with black hair, and then we can get down to some normalcy (the kind where they basically ignore me). If you've been studying my blogs (and there will be a quiz on them in January), you know that the reason I write is to gently and unobtrusively call attention to myself. Any other method of calling attention to yourself (say, a rainbow wig, suspenders, sexy kitten/witch outfit, wizard's hat, leopard-print caveman suit, etc.) is unseemly.

There is also something in the air I cannot abide on Halloween -- an eerie crackling energy made up of peoples' experimentation with being something entirely different for a day. It leaves one breathless, all this tin foil, cardboard, fabric, glue, paint and applique imagining.

So think of me this Halloween, little black wig, eating a bit of candy, and holding my breath, hanging on until November 1st.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy November 1, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Hah! I LOVE halloween. I'm exhausted, in a satisfied way, from all the crackling energy.

The day before All Hallows Eve was James birthday, costumes were essential. Then we did a haunted graveyard up at the Tso's. I was the witch with the long green nose and Talons. So much to cackle over, so many brains to boil.

It does feel good though, to be done. I'm ready for a warm bath, a good book and a cup of tea.

M