Thursday, November 6, 2008

In a Parallel Universe, What Would Be On Your Business Card?

For the first book I’m publishing with Flux, I needed a phrase translated into Latin. In the original draft I used some free online Latin translation site just to have something to work with. As I revise I’m trying to tie up all lose ends, so my friend Blue hooked me up with her old professor of Classics. He responded today with two elegant options, neither of which was even close to my hacked up guess, and my first reaction was, “I want to be him.”

So, I can add Professor of Classics to my list of things I’d like to be in a parallel universe. Others on the list are architect, Elle McPherson, food and travel writer a la M.F.K. Fisher, Tibetan Hermit, and archaeologist (specifically the archaeologist who discovered what the Antikythera device really did).

So, if you could snap your fingers and be ANYTHING else, what would you be?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Criminal Defense Attorney. Or Neurologist.

And you're welcome, even though I did nothing. Jim was my Latin prof first term freshman year. And he's still willing to answer my emails.

Anonymous said...

Ballerina. Edyta Sliwinska. A master Chocolatier. In a perfect parallel world maybe I could be all three at once...

CDG

Anonymous said...

Honestly, it's probably too late for Neurology, but Criminal Defense? TOTALLY! A couple years of Law School and you're there, baby! You were made for that.

Anonymous said...

You're all so lofty!

I just want to be rich.

Anonymous said...

I love food, I love travel, I love antiques, music, and I love books.

In a parallel universe I would be a food and travel writer, a buyer for anthropologie, Judy Garland, or . . . a published author.

I would've also like to have been a Wimbledon champion.

I don't want much.

M

Anonymous said...

Hmm, interesting question. I pretty much change careers every 4 years so I can try them all on before I die, so I don't have too many left (I'm old!!)

But I would like to be Dave Eggers in my next life or in another universe. Seriously, he's my idol. Amazing writer, philanthropist, teacher, mentor, humble, brilliant, all around perfect dude.

Or a pro baseball player.

Or Elle MacPherson. That'd be cool too. :)

Eve

Christy Raedeke said...

Dave Eggers is an excellent choice! Okay, I change mine to Dave Eggers' brain in Elle McPherson's body.