Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wanted: One Agent, Any Agent -- Jennie

Since last summer, I have sent several queries to literary agents and publishers, pitching my YA boy-book.

Not surprisingly, most of those instantly rejected me. Surprisingly, some (amazing) agents asked for partial and full manuscripts. Even two editors solicited the work in its entirety; they are still "considering."

After revising the manuscript with an agent I was really hoping to sign with, I got the Bad News: He just didn't LOVE it enough to take it on.

The incredible Lithia Girls tried to console me with: "But he said so many good things about the book!" or "You were so close! You'll get there next time."

The only thing that mattered to me was the "Unfortunately..." part of the agent's email.

I have been rejected I don't know how many times. Really, I have no idea. So it must be a lot.

Of course now I'm questioning the integrity of the book: Is the premise weak? Is the plot boring? Is my character doomed to life inside my orange binder?

There is only one way to find out.

I have to query everyone.

And I'm going to.

This weekend, I sent out 15 emails. Two rejections came back immediately (on a Saturday???), and one request came for a partial, which I sent within hours.

After some Internet investigating, I found that this agency gets 70-something queries a week and requests partials for one of those.

I have decided that I'll be fine if this agent rejects me. I will be fine if every agent and editor on the planet declines to give my boy a cover.

But I know I can't live with myself if I don't do everything possible to turn these loose pages into a real book.

Even if it means kissing the ass of some one-man show in the Ozarks.

3 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

Dude! One out of 70! This should make you feel great.

It's a slog - all of the business side of publishing is - but the more you get your stuff out into the universe, the more you can get back. It's like spaghetti: throw a wad at the wall and see what sticks!

Anonymous said...

Keep going Jenny! It's like speed dating! These boots are made for walking and you're going to keep walking until you find your man (or woman) and a place for your boy....
KMB

Patty Palmer said...

Oh Jennie, don't be discouraged! Your writing is fabulous and you will get published. I heard you read, what? Once, maybe? And I still remember the lyrical quality of your writing.
Although, I have to say, I'm with you with the mass surge of e-queries. Remember, it just takes one.
Crossing my fingers for ya!