Monday, January 12, 2009

Shelter from the Storm --Kerry

In the backround of my 1970's childhood, a dim political picture emerged on the television screen and dinnertime conversations. The picture included Vietnam, Nixon and long lines of cars with names like Pinto and Dasher waiting for rationed gasoline. However, that's about as much as my parents let me understand. They sheltered me from the graphic horrors of war and the economic fears (11% home mortgages) the same way I shelter my own children from Iraq and the financial crisis.

My children joined the swim team today, the same team I swam on twenty-five years ago.
However, I would come home and talk on a yellow phone attached to the wall with a cord dangling from the receiver. To dial you inserted your finger in a round plastic six-inch circle on the corresponding number. My children came home and used their father's blackberry to make phone calls, do their math homework and email a friend.

Times have changed, but some of the basics of childhood still remain.
The swimming pool is still twenty-five yards and you're still hungry as all outdoors when you're done with the workout.
It's still uncool to take cuts in the line at grade school.
It doesn't matter how much money you have, what you look like, or what you wear as long as you are really fun to play with.
Doing your best is still the best way.

The horrors are still out there, but for the moment they can wait until the end of childhood.

2 comments:

Kelly Hudgins said...

This is such a fine line to walk, and it's one I walk every day. I want Anna to stay a girl while she is a girl, and in this culture it's a challenge. So far so good, but it's a day at a time.

I may "poach" your topic for my blog today...thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

So much to think about, Kerry.

Preserving that innocence is a tough job, no?